Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Summer Solstice Adventure: Midday

Roar! After my morning in Queens I decided to ride over the bridge formerly known as the Tri-Borough and head into the Bronx.
Here I am approaching the newly renamed Robert F. Kennedy bridge. It's a pretty nice looking bridge. Roar!
Turns out there is an even nicer bridge just north of the Tri-Kennedy. Now, the Hell Gate bridge really is one nice looking bridge! R-roar!
Next, I rode across Randall's Island and over the creek that leads into to the Bronx.
Then I rode up across the Bronx and over to the PostNet center to check out one of the Key to the City locations in the Bronx. 
It turned out my key opened this post office box. 
Looks like a lot of people have been sending mail here! I hope there is something for me! Roar!
Just get a look at all of the cool stuff that was inside! There were notes from all sorts of different people, not to mention postcards and letters! 
There was even this enticing Sudoku! Too bad someone had already solved it. Roar...
Roar! I left a package of free stickers for the all the people who will come to check out the box after me. I sure hope they enjoy them!

After visiting postnet I decided to ride north up to Bronx Community College to visit a few "celebrities". Roar!

This is the Hall of Great Americans at the Bronx Community College. Built in 1900, it's the original hall of fame and features a number of renowned Americans. 
The hall is divided into all sorts of different sections, from statesmen and scientists, to musicians and teachers. Here are a few of my favorites from the authors section. Looks like Nathaniel Hawthorne and Samuel Clemens are neighbors. Oh, and this serious looking guy is New York City native Washington Irving! He's one of the biggest names in Gotham history: he even nicknamed it Gotham! I guess it wasn't Batman after all. Roar!
Here I am hanging out with John Phillip Sousa! One of the greatest American composers to ever live! I wish I could talk to him, but I think I need a Sousa-phone for that.
Here is the great John James Audubon! He was a famous ornithologist and painter who spent his live studying American birds. I love birds! Roar! 
There are still a few open spaces left. I wonder if they'd ever consider letting a dinosaur into the Hall of Fame?

After leaving the Hall of Great Americans I decided to spend my solstice afternoon exploring northern Manhattan. Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment