Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Summer Solstice Adventure: Afternoon

Roar! After I rode over in to Manhattan, I found myself up in Inwood at 207th street. Turns out there was some great graffiti up there!
Check out this sweet Pink Panther tag! Looks like inspector Clouseau is on the case! Roar!
I decided to ride down the West Side bike path to the George Washington bridge and do the Key to the City location there. The GW is such a BRUTAL looking bridge. In fact, the famous French architect Le Corbusier called it the only beautiful thing the U.S. ever created. Roar! That is just so French!
The map of the West Side bike path was poorly marked and I found myself on a trail that quickly turned into a dirt path that then ran into train tracks. I guess I was on the wrong trail, roar?
I could still see the GW in the distance so I pennied the tracks for good luck then climbed through the woods towards the bridge.
After passing through the woods I finally made it back to the West Side bike path. I then rode up and around to the entrance to the south path to check out the Key to the City location.
Roar?! Where did the lock my key opens go?! There I was at the 3rd gate and the lock was missing. I guess someone must have taken it.
Ahh... There was such a lovely view of the Hudson river from atop the George Washington Bridge. I could see all the way out the harbor. I'll be heading down there later.
Look down there! That's the little red lighthouse under the great gray bridge. The subject of a famous children's book. Let's go take a closer look.
Roar! It's the groovy green dinosaur in front of the little red lighthouse under the great gray bridge! I hope we can all be friends!

Next I continued my way down the West Side bike path until I hit 72nd Street, then decided to cut on over to the park for a Make Music New York performance. But first I needed to make a quick stop at the 72nd Street subway stop.
Ring! Ring! Wait, where did the phone go?! I was expecting a call from Simon! Roar!
I continued my ride over to Central Park to see a performance of Iannis Xenakis's Persephassa on the lake. Here I am playing in the fountain by the lake while I wait for the concert to start. Woah! What is that kid behind me up too?
The performance was really cool! All of the percussionist were set up on boats on the lake and the floated around while they performed Persephassa. The audience also got to float around the lake on rowboats to enjoy the concert. It was so neat!
The concert was a little late getting started so unfortunately I didn't have time to stay for the whole thing. Instead of riding the boats I hung out on the small bridge over the lake and enjoyed a nice view of the Upper West Side.

The concert was a really nice end to my afternoon but I still had a long way to go before my day was over. Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment