Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Exploring Eastern Queens part 2: Let them eat Tortillas!

Roar! After my adventure in Flushing I headed back down Roosevelt Ave to Corona to visit the Tortilleria Nixtamal, one of the Key to the City locations.
Here I am outside the Tortilleria. It looks like a pretty neat place! I can't want to see what waits for me inside.
The owner of the Tortilleria took me to a door in the back.
Ok... Let's see what is behind it!
This is getting a little weird now. I've got to go down into the Basement.
Oh, it's the kitchen where they make all the tortillas, it looks like I'm going to get to see how they make them first claw.

The owner told us about how they make the tortillas - apparently they still grind the corn fresh each day. Most places haven't made tortillas like this since the 30's when they industrialized the production of Masa in Mexico.
To make their tortillas, first the Tortilleria Nixtamal buys whole white corn--
--and soaks it in quicklime over night--
 --then grinds the whole kernels into a meal. 
Next, they press all the tortillas by hand. Here they let me press my own by claw. Roar! 
Finally they grill each tortilla. Oh my, it smells so good!
ROAR! THIS IS THE BEST TORTILLA I HAVE EVER EATEN! 
After that amazing tortilla I went back upstairs to order some other food! First I got this amazing chile relleno. Instead of a poblano it was a large jalopeno stuffed with tuna, roasted, then served cold in a tortilla with crema on top. YUM!
Next, I tried the sausage and pepper tamale. The neighborhood of Corona where the Tortilleria is located is an old Italian neighborhood and this was their tribute to their Italian neighbors. It was delicious!

Today was really fun, the Tortilleria was great and being able to see how they make the tortillas was a rare treat. It sure is great to have the Key to the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment