Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lacing it up at Gleason's!

Roar! This afternoon I headed over to Gleason's Gym in Dumbo to see what my Key to the City would unlock. After riding Down Under the Manhattan and Brooklyn Underpasses I arrived at Gleason's Gym over on Main Street.
Here I am outside the door to Gleason's Gym. I wonder what type of facilities they'll have?
It tuns out Gleason's is a boxing gym that's been in operation since 1937 and many World Heavyweight Champions including Muhammad Ali trained here. Here I am checking out the boxing ring. I may float like a butterfly but I stomp like a T-Rex! Roar!
Roar! What's this guy staring at? My name isn't Adrian, it's T-Rex!
My key apparently opens this locker off in the corner of the gym!
Why it's full of boxing equipment! What a surprise!
I think some of this stuff might be a little too big! Roar!
This is the creed at Gleason's. They take boxing really seriously and it shows. 

Visiting Gleason's was really cool. I don't often get to come down to Dumbo so I decided to explore the rest of the neighborhood while I was here. 

At Jane's Carousel They have this sweet old carousel on display. Unfortunately due to fire regulations they can't allow people to ride it. The carousel was built in 1922 and has been fully restored. After nearly 20 years of waiting it is finally being moved Brooklyn Bridge Park for a spring 2011 opening where everyone will finally be able to ride it.
Next, I walked over to St. Ann's Theater where they were having this wild festival of toy and puppet theater! It was so cool to see all the models and there was even a talk about how much everyone loves toys! Roar!
When they saw I was there they asked me to give a guest speech. I'm not sure why they thought I knew so much about puppets? 
Next, I headed over to Empire Fulton Park under the Manhattan Bridge. It's such a nice park, even if it is a bit noisy. I just love sitting on the steps by the water. If you haven't been to this park definitely check it out!
Empire Fulton Park is also where one the iconic views of the Brooklyn Bridge and Lower Manhattan is. I just love this park! 
I decided DUMBO would be good place to put up some art. First I put up this sticker, which was originally stuck up on the plaque on the Williamsburg Bridge. It was covered in layers of paint and eventually started to peel off. So I retrieved it, redrew my silhouette, and glued it up here. Remember the four R's: reduce, reuse, recycle, and ROAR!
Lastly I put up this mixed media piece of a puzzle of the very same iconic view from Empire Fulton Park  combined with my signature stencil. I hope the folks over in DUMBO like it. Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment