Thursday, June 10, 2010

Key to the City

Roar! Today I went over to Times Square to take part in this neat citywide art project called the Key to the City. There is a kiosk between 42nd and 43rd street where they officially swear you in as a recipient of the key to the city. The key will unlock something special at 25 different locations spread throughout New York City. The idea is to examine the idea of public vs. private space, as well as show off some sweet locations not often visited in the city.
Here I am in front of the kiosk in Times Square, ready to get my key!
This is Sheiva who was waiting next to me in line to get a key to the city. She was also the person who dedicated the key to me and I dedicated a key to her. Roar!
Here I have my key and a passport to the city which lists all the places my key will open.
here's a close up of the key. I really like the design on it. 
Here is the dedication page of the passport. Sheiva dedicated the key to me for "Small claws, staying dry and fluffy in the rain." That was so nice of her. In her passport I dedicated a key to her from being a "nice young lady with sweet headphones. Roar!"

It turned out one of the places you could use your key was over in Bryant Park so I stomped over to 6th Ave to check it out.
Here is the lamppost in Bryant Part with a small box on the bottom that my key will open.
Hmm, I wonder what is going to be inside this box?
Oh my goodness, it's the switch to the lamp post! Now I can turn it on and off at my own whim. There is even a little statue someone left and a note that says "Everything is better bathed in purple light." Let's flip the switch and find out!
Roar! Look at that beautiful lit bulb! I better turn it off though, so as not to waste electricity. Not to mention I don't want to deprive the next person of the pleasure of turning it on for themselves.

Being able to access the box and turn the light off was really neat. I can't to see what lies in store for me now that I have the key to city! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment