Thursday, July 1, 2010

From Warhol to Whitman

Roar! Today was a pretty cool day! I went over to the Brooklyn Museum to check out the Key to the City location there, and I went over to the new Brooklyn Bridge Park to celebrate Walt Whitman's birthday! First, I went over to the Brooklyn Museum where my key opened a mysterious door in the the American Wing.
Here I am in front of the mysterious door! It's right next to a portrait of the sensible, T-Rex lovin' gentleman, George Washington! What a great place for a secret!
Here I am opening the door. I can't wait to see what's inside!
Woah! Look at how cute all those animals are! It turns out the door housed a secret exhibit of rare Fabergé carved animals. Fabergé is well know for their eggs, so it's cool to see what happens when they finally hatch! Roar!

After checking out the Key to the City location I decided to explore a bit more of the Brooklyn Museum before heading over to celebrate Walt Whitman's birthday. 

This is a great, powerful painting of Niagra Falls. There was a great quote on the wall next to the painting by a third grader who felt this painting was one of the most beautiful things they had ever seen. It's so nice to know that great art can still be so inspiring to today's youth! Roar! 
The museum also had this great exhibit featuring the later works of Andy Warhol. It was so exciting to see some of the rarer works of one of my favorite artists. Here I am in front of a painting he did of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius. Seeing a volcanic eruption always makes me so emotional... roar...
Here I am looking at one of Warhol's paintings of the Last Supper. It's so neat to see how he incorporated advertising elements and various products along with the religious themes. I wonder what he was going for with all of that? Roar!
This is one of my favorite Warhol pieces! It's a silk screened image of Christ repeated 192 times. It's a pretty imposing image and really speaks volumes of Warhol's deep religious convictions. Roar!

There were lots of other great Warhol pieces on display including some of his collaborations with Basquiat and some of his urine paintings. It's a really great collection of his work and I definitely recommend checking it out!

After leaving the museum I went over to the new Brooklyn Bridge Park to partake in some serious Walt Whitman birthday partying! 

There were a ton of different performances and poetry readings. All the different bands played songs they'd written for the occasion inspired by Walt Whitman's poetry. There was even root beer flavored ice cream! Here I am watching a performance by Prince Rama of Ayodhya, one of my favorite local bands. They did such a great job! It was really cool to see them play as the sun went down. What a perfect end to a summer's day! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment