Sunday, December 13, 2009

Wild Weekend Part One: Thursday

Roar! This was one wild weekend! There was so much stuff happening all at once and just no way I could do it all. Like every New York weekend it started on a Thursday, with a trip to the museums in lower Manhattan. First I went to Federal Hall to see the spot where George Washington was sworn in as first president of the USA.

George W. was one classy guy! He sure loved T-Rexes.

This is the stone that George Washington stood on when he took office. I hear if you look hard enough you can still see his boot print. Roar!

Next, I went to the Skyscraper museum over by Battery Park. It has a really cool show on comparing the growth of New York City at the beginning of the 20th century to the current building boom in Shanghai. Here I am in front of an artist rendering of one of the new "future" skyscrapers they are building in Shanghai.

Here I am attacking a model of a new skyscraper in Hong Kong. I hope the real building can hold up to a dinosaur attack!

The Skyscraper Museum had this small exhibit on the Burj Dubai. They really need to update their photos. The exterior of the Burj is done. It's 818 meters high and it's not just the tallest building but the tallest thing ever built by humans! That's pretty cool if you ask me!

In the gift shop of the Sky Scraper Museum they had this cool book of old stereoscopic slides of New York City. It even had a built in viewer so you could look at them all in 3-D.

Here is a stereoscopic image of me looking at slides in the book.

Next stop was the Museum of the American Indian which is in the old U.S. Customs House. Here I am in their sweet lobby!

They had some great art on display. Here I'm checking out the work of this Inuit artist Annie Pootoogook. It was really cool.

This crazy painting is by Andrea Carlson and is really awesome. I definitely recommend checking it out!

Here I am in Bowling Green outside of the Museum of the American Indian. Bowling Green is where the dutch aristocracy would play lawn games back in the early days of New York City. During the Pig War in the winter of 1643 to 44 the Dutch cut the heads off all the Native Americans living in lower Manhattan and then all of the Dutch women went bowling with the heads. It was awful!

I think the park rules should include no playing with human remains. Roar!

I headed back up to Wall Street to get my bike and go home. Now a days everyone is making such a big deal about the economy and the stock market. I remember back at the end of the Cretaceous when the BER (Bone Exchange Rate) fell and everyone started panicking! Now those were some scary times!

As I was heading home I passed the tree lighting ceremony for the New York Stock Exchange. They had all the different celebrities there to perform. Oh my god, is that Lady Gaga?!



2 comments:

  1. hahaha, attack the building???
    not scary at all, just sooooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROAR! T-Rex's aren't cute! We're ferocious! ROAR!

    ReplyDelete