Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day Adventure

Roar! Today, America celebrates its Independence Day! There were so many options for different things I could do! I was going to go to Coney Island again and check out the hot dog eating contest, but Major League Eating told me it wasn't fair for a dinosaur to enter, so instead I decided to pay a visit to America itself. Turns out it's right over the border in Queens.
Turn's out Maspeth, Queens is America! At least that's what this extreme mural tells me!
Maspeth is also home to Mt. Olivet Cemetery, one of the earliest cemeteries in the city. It sits on the highest point in the town and offers great views of the Manhattan skyline. Roar! Across from the cemetery, the old Queens County Hotel now serves as a flower shop.
Apparently heroes are also really big here in Maspeth! They even raise their kids to be them! Roar!
Maspeth is such a quaint American town. The McDonalds is even in keeping with the village's rustic aesthetic. But do they serve heros? Roar!
The old LIRR line used to split here. Though the tracks have long since been pulled up, this sign is still a reminder of when the railroad used to stop here. There also used to be a trolley line in addition to the LIRR. Now Maspeth only has a couple of bus lines that run through it and is one of the harder to access neighborhoods in the city.
Roar! It's BINGO time! I can't think of a more American pastime than BINGO! Now I know where to come when I get a hankerin' to play! Too bad they were closed for America's Independence Day, otherwise I would have been throwing down chips left and right!

It was really fun exploring Maspeth today! Afterwards I went home and grilled up on the roof with some friends! Happy 4th of July everyone! Roar!


No comments:

Post a Comment