Sunday, September 5, 2010

A visit to Bottle Beach on my One Year Anniversary

Roar! Today is the 1 year anniversary since I started my blog! In order to celebrate Giraffe and I decided to head down to a remote area of Brookyln to get a first claw look at our city's past!
From Gerritsen Beach it was just a short ride over to Dead Horse Bay. The beach here is littered with all kinds of trash and has earned the nickname bottle beach! The thing is, almost all of the trash is from over 100 years ago! Dead Horse Bay is right on the edge of New York City's original air strip, Floyd Bennett Field, which was built on top of the old 19th century landfill. Now ten decades later, the bay has eroded the edge of the landfill and exposed all of the garbage that hasn't decomposed!
Roar! Besides all the old bottles, there was a ton of other weird stuff on the beach, namely old dentures, leather shoe heels, and even old newspapers that hadn't completely decomposed! Talk about crazy!
Here is a photo of Giraffe and I in front of an antique car engine that had emerged from a sand bar and was covered in barnacles!
I even found this sweet old harmonica! Too bad it didn't work anymore, I really wanted to play the greens on my anniversary! Roar!
Here's Giraffe looking out over an old abandoned pier, and here I am checking out some rusty metal containers that used to be part of the old landfill! I find that all of these forgotten structures really add to the feeling of Dead Horse Bay.
Not everything on the beach was antique trash. Here is a monitor someone placed on this tree! I wonder if it's some kind of art piece? Roar!
There was also this abandoned boat that washed up on the beach! I decided to leave my mark on it. Roar!
Dead Horse Bay got its name because this is where they used to dump the horse carcasses from all the old glue factories in the city! Gross! Now there are just tons of dead horseshoe crabs lining the beach! Roar!
It wasn't just all trash at Dead Horse Bay! There was also this sweet mussle patch growing in the reeds! I guess they should rename this place mussle beach! Roar!
After leaving Dead Horse Bay Giraffe and I decided to head over to Floyd Bennett Field and check out the old air strip! But then things got really strange and we passed all this snow! I don't think I'm ready for it to be winter yet! I'm really glad Giraffe was there for me!
Roar! Here I am in front of the old air traffic control tower at Floyd Bennett Field! This place is so cool! I wish I had a sweet biplane to land here!
Here Giraffe and I are in front of one of the old hangars at Floyd Bennet Field! This hanger was for American Airlines which was one of the only commercial airlines to use Floyd Bennett Field as its base for New York flights. But because there wasn't much commerical airlines traffic, Floyd Bennet Field was used by famous aviators, such as Howard Hughes and Amelia Earhart, to set their record breaking flights!
Floyd Bennet Field is now run by the Parks Department! They even have this sweet community garden! It's nice to see gardens thriving in out of the way places like these! Roar!
Here I am out in the old, overgrown runway! Woah! who's this handsome looking guy!? Why its a paper version of me, T-Rex! Roar!
Here is Giraffe and I hanging out in the old runway with my paper T-Rex! It sure was awesome getting to see some of this city's history first claw today! Happy Paper Anniversary everyone! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment