Friday, January 29, 2010

T-Rex goes to Tiny Towne

Roar! Today I rode down to visit my girlfriend, Giraffe, in her neighborhood of Gerritsen Beach. It's this really strange neighborhood in south Brooklyn where all the streets and homes get really congested. Basically it's like New York's very own Tiny Towne. 


View Tiny Towne in a larger map

Here is a map of Gerritsen Beach that shows what I mean when I say it's New York's Tiny Towne. When the neighborhood was developed in the 20's it was designed to be a beach bungalow community so all the houses were built on 40 x 45 square foot lots. As a result there are tons of narrow streets. 
Look how crowded the neighborhood is! Every couple of houses there is another street. 
Gerritsen Beach is right on the water, which is nice, so Giraffe and I decided to spend some time together enjoying the view. Oh my god is that a T.G.I.Fridays across the river?! To go there, We're going to need a smaller boat!
Giraffe introduced me to her friend Mr. Tusks, the mayor of Gerritsen Beach. He was really proud of his tiny town and was willing to show us around. 
This is Mr. Tusks' Mayoral Mansion. It sure is big! Roar!
Mr. Tusks took me to see the main strip to see all the shops in Gerritsen Beach. Here is the Ancient Order of Hiberians. I'll never understand mammals and their need to sleep through half the year. Roar!
Here is Big Al's Barber Shop. I guess not everything is small around here!
Next we came to the local pet supply store, Bargain Bow Wow. It's apparently the "Purrrfect  Pet Food Solution," they even have a Twitter feed! Wow! http://twitter.com/bargainbowwow
Roar! Even the fire hydrants out here in Gerritsen Beach are fancy. Look at the pretty colors!
There are lots of old ladies in Gerritsen Beach that like to decorate their homes with all sorts of kooky stuff! Just look at this house! Can you find me in this picture? Roar!
I'm thinking of investing in this fixer-upper. Mr. Tusks says it only needs a little bit of work!
After the tour Mr. Tusks offered to take us to T.G.I.Fridays in his submarine but I decided to go spend some time with Giraffe in the park. 
Giraffe really likes living out here because while everything in her neighborhood is so tiny, right across the street is the Gerritsen Beach Conservation Area where there are plenty of wide open spaces for her to graze. 
There is also this crazy playground with a giant snake! I decided to ride the snake, but unfortunately there weren't any ancient lakes around for us to visit. Roar! 

I had a great time today visiting Giraffe. Gerritsen Beach is an interesting neighborhood and it was really nice to meet Mr. Tusks. Hopefully I'll get to see everyone again soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment