Monday, September 27, 2010

At the Makers Faire

Roar! Yesterday was the New York Makers Faire at the New York Hall of Science! It's a really cool event where all sorts of artists and inventors from around New York City gather to show off all the crazy stuff they've been working on! I thought it would be neat to go and see what all of my fellow NYC craftsmen have been up too, but this time I'll be sure to stay away from the Rocket Park mini golf!
One of the first things I went to see at the Makers Fair and one of the absolute collest things there was this crazy life size version of the mousetrap from the board game Mousetrap! It was really nuts and worked just like the one in the game, only instead of trying to catch a mouse they were using it to smash a car! Talk about crazy! Roar!
Next, I went over to see what some of the local inventors were working on! Here is an awesome open source 3D printer someone built! This printer can even print itself! I sure hope it doesn't become self aware!
There was also this amazing art piece where a computer was using different algorythms to try and align these pieces into a 3 dimensional mobius strip! It may all sound respectively scientific but I thought it was a great art piece on the passage of time and our true inability to grasp the nature of infinity! Roar!
Another weird art piece was this giant undersea monster sculpture! It sure was scary, I hope I never encounter this guy down in the briny deep!
There were also a lot of cool people wandering around the Makers Faire. I ran into this girl who had a sign that said "scare me" on her chest. I roared real loud and she turned into a porcupine! Wow, that's a pretty nifty defense mechanism and she looks pretty cute too! Roar!
After all the wandering around I was doing, I was getting pretty hungry so I went on over to the food court for some delicious snacks! Woah! Look at all that sweet sweet gyro meat! I'm definitely getting some of those! Oh man I just love meat so much! Maybe I should work with some of the inventors here to come up with new kinds of meat! That would be so cool! Roar!
There were also a bunch of wild rides! In this one people rode a bicycle to spin those guitars around and play some serious power chords!
The Madagascar Institute was also there! There built all sorts of cool art that can kill you --Gulp-- and have been doing it for over 10 years! They had this wild DIY chariot race featuring a fire breathing raven and a Kraken! It ended in a huge collision and chariot parts went everywhere! It was totally nuts!
The Madagascar Institute also built a replica of one of the early sociable style bicycles! This baby sure looks like it would be fun to ride! Roar!
But by far the coolest thing the Madagascar Institute had at the Makers Faire was this carzy rocket powered carousel! It featured two ponies with rocket engines on their backs and when they spun around fire spewed out of their backs! After riding it I was so dizzy I nearly spewed out all the gyro meat I had just eaten! Oh my that would have been embarassing, as a dinosaur I don't want anyone to think I can't hold my meat! Roar!

The Makers Faire turned out to be a really cool event and a lot of fun! I'll definitely come again next year and maybe I'll even bring along a few friends! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment