Tuesday, January 12, 2010

"T-Rex-erick Cook" goes north!

Roar! Yesterday I decided to make an expedition to the north, just like Frederick Cook, the founder of the New York Explorers Club! I started my journey by first heading to visit continental Manhattan.
Here I am on the bridge that leads from Inwood to Marble Hill, the only neighborhood in Manhattan not on the island. It turns out Marble Hill was once actually part of the island until the Army Corps of Engineer built a channel for ships into the East River. Now Marble Hill is part of the continental mainland! I sure hope the Bronx doesn't try to take it over!
Marble Hill got its name from all the marble deposits that used to be found here. They were all stripped out long ago and now all that's left are the steep granite cliffs from the quarries. Here I am hanging out in front of one of these granite cliffs. Someone even built a house up there, but I don't think they want any visitors.
Oh no! It looks like the dog has spotted me! I hope he's friendly! Roar!
Since Marble Hill is part of Manhattan it has a lot of fancy people living in it, in lots of fancy houses!
Roar! I don't know why, but I'm really partial to this house! 
Woah! Check out the decal on this car. This guy really is living up in "da hill!" Roar!
Look at this fence! I guess the people in Marble Hill really do want to keep the Bronx out! It's going to be a bit harder to get to my next destination than I realized! 
After finding my way out of Marble Hill, I headed up to the College of Mount St. Vincent in the Bronx. I came here because the northern corner of their campus is also the northernmost point in New York City.
Here I am hanging out on the campus for the College of Mount St. Vincent. Look at how sweet this building is! It was built when the college was first founded in 1857.
Oh my gosh! They even have a sweet castle! This sure is one cool college! Now if only they had a windmill! Roar! 
Oh my! I really am up north! Look at the black squirrel in that tree!
Roar! I'm so far north I even fell into Symmes's hole! Good thing I'm a T-Rex! Not even the center of the earth can hold me! Roar! 
Finally, I made it to the northern most point in New York City. To my right is some strange, foreign land called "Yonkers" and across the Hudson river is some terrifying place whose name I've only heard mentioned in hushed whispers when visiting some of the shadier parts of NYC. It's a name best left unsaid. 
Here I am looking south from the top of New York City. Just look how pretty the sky is as the sun sets behind the George Washington Bridge. 
I threw up a sticker on the fence that divided New York City from "Yonkers." Now I also have the northernmost graffiti in city! Roar! 
On my way back downtown from the Bronx I stopped to visit Grant's Tomb. Who's buried there again? 
Why it's president Ulysses S. Grant and his wife! I thought this type of monument belonged in Washington D.C.  I guess Grant wanted to make sure he was buried safely in Yankee territory. Roar!
After leaving Grant's Tomb I headed down to Chinatown for some delicious hotpot at the Grand Sichuan restaurant! Mmmm! Just look at that delicious meat! What a great end to a great day! Roar!

UPDATE: It turns out Frederick Cook lived right in my neighborhood in Bushwick. The mansion he lived in is right on Bushwick Ave between Myrtle and Willoughby. 
It looks like his awesome mansion has fallen into disrepair. Too bad, it's such a cool looking building! I feel bad for old Frederick Cook, he led an expedition to the North Pole in 1907 and claimed to have reached to pole in 1908, a full year before Robert Peary. Peary then set out to discredit Cook and succeeded. Poor old Frederick Cook's reputation never recovered. Roar...


No comments:

Post a Comment