Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy P-Rex Day!

Roar! On February 2nd there is an old T-Rex family tradition going back millions of years that predicts the weather for the next 6 weeks. So this morning I got up and headed to the roof see what the weather was like. 
The sun was trying to peek its way through a cloudy sky. Looks like I won't be seeing my shadow today!
Yup, definitely no shadow today. That means spring is on the way! I decided I should go out have some fun. What would my great great grandfather, Punxsutawney-Rex, have done on a day like today?
Why, old P-Rex would have gone to his favorite steak house in the city, Gage & Tollner! I decided to head over to Fulton Mall to check it out. 
Woah, it turns out the building that was originally the Gage & Tollner Steak House is now an Arby's. Apparently things got really rocky for G&T in the mid 1990's and they had to close. Then a T.G.I.Fridays came in but that closed in 2007. Now it's an Arby's. They've gone from crinolines to curly fries! I'm just glad there is still a restaurant here.
The inside of the Arby's is really nice. Since this was once New York City's oldest restaurant the building is a historical landmark. Arby's renovation of the interior had to be approved by a landmark committee. As a result all the original wood trim, gas light fixtures, and plaster walls are still intact. While old P-Rex would probably be sad he can't get a steak here anymore, I'm sure he'd be glad to know it's still the same old place inside. Roar! 
I got two Beef n' Cheddar sandwiches! They were really tasty and filling, P-Rex would have loved them.  Today turned out to be a fun and interesting day full of restaurant history! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment