Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pie Roar Squared

Roar! Yesterday was such a strange day! First, the PS1 museum's Saturday Session was having performances featuring a bunch of "Do It Yourself" instruments that looked pretty cool so I rode up there to check it out.

At the museum I met a dinosaur enthusiast and old college friend from back in my B.C. days. It had been ages since I'd last seen her.

The show was upstairs in the record room. The first performance was by this woman who made a synthesizer out of a sewing machine. It seamed like a cool idea but she just ran a piece of fabric back and forth making sounds to show how it worked. I really wanted to see her sew a dress so I could hear what it would have sounded like.

The next performance featured a cello with a television set built into it. The performer used a magnet to bow the strings and cause the image on the TV screen to distort. It was a very clever effect but instead of playing music she just sat around making sounds to show everyone how it worked.

After all of that free improv I convinced them to let me play this sweet vacuum cleaner powered organ. Time for some Iron Butterfly! Roar!

Next, I headed back to Brooklyn and over to the K&M Bar for the BK Farmyards Pie Contest. 


It was really dark inside the bar and hard to get good photos of all the pies. Here you can make out a bunch of the pies entered in the contest. There ended up being well over 50 pies entered and after judging the pies were given out to the audience so they could try them too.

Everyone was so shocked to see a T-Rex at the contest they decided to let me be a guest judge. My favorite pies ended up being the steak and kidney pie, minced meat pie, and the chicken and leek pie. Roar!

Here I am with a big plate of pies to judge. After all the judging was over I must have eaten at least 3.14159265... pies! That's whole lot of pie! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment