Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Real Metropolis

Roar! Today was great! I went to see the newly restored and near complete version of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis that is playing over at the Film Forum. I haven’t seen a complete version since its 1927 premiere in Berlin. After the premiere, Metropolis was heavily edited and after World War II as much as a third of the film was believed to be lost. That is until 2 years ago when they found a complete 16mm print in Argentina. It took almost two years to restore the footage but now the new restoration is playing here in New York City, the very city that inspired the movie!
Apparently, Roger Ebert has called Metropolis the film event of 2010! I couldn’t have said it better myself. Roar!
Here I am inside of the Film Forum. They have all sorts of great information on the movie as well as some sweet posters for sale!
I can’t for the movie to start! I should have gotten some popcorn! I wonder if they have any meat flavors? Roar! 
Here is a still from one of the newly restored scenes. This is some of the lost Thin Man footage where he spies on our hero, Freder Fredersen. It turns out the Thin Man is freaking awesome! It was so cool to see all the scenes back in the movie. Roar!


No comments:

Post a Comment