Sunday, May 30, 2010

Manhattan-henge

Roar! Today was Manhattan Henge, one of the two days during the year when the movement of the sun lines up with the grid system in Manhattan. It's a really cool phenomenon! Normally it happens around May 28th but this year it occurred on the 30th. So this evening I rode up 1st Ave and watched the sun set at a bunch of the major through streets!
Here I am at 14th Street. Roar!
Here I am at 23rd Street. Roar!
Here I am at 34th Street. Roar!

I think it's strange that Manhattan Henge happens on on and around the 28th in the spring and then again around the 12th of July. It also happens for sunrise on December 5th in the fall and then again on January 8th in the winter.  Those dates line up to some strange occurrences in world history! Apparently in 1644 the Boston Massacre took place then in 1804 Alexander Hamilton was shot and killed by Aron Burr in a duel! Not to mention, Christopher Columbus set foot on Haiti plus George Washington himself delivered the first State of the Union Address at Federal Hall right here in New York City! Oh my god! All those events lining up is just too much of a coincidence for me to over look! The layout of the Manhattan Grid must be  some kind of crazy conspiracy! The grid was first proposed in 1811 and a decision was made not to run the streets geographic north-south so they must have wanted Manhattan Henge to line up with these dates!  I'll never look at Manhattan the same way again! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment