Monday, November 22, 2010

Snuggle Harbor

Roar! Today was such a lovely day I decided I should take Giraffe to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center out on Staten Island. Snug Harbor was originally founded as a retirement home for sailors and was later home to the Governor of Staten Island. Now it's an amazing historical site with a bunch of super sweet gardens!
After taking the ferry over Giraffe and I went for a brief ride up Richmond Terrace where we arrived at the entrance to Snug Harbor. Once inside the first place we stopped was this awesome duck pond! There was even a goose! Maybe we could all play a game together? Quack, Quack, ROAR!
Next, Giraffe and I went over to the old Governor's Mansion. This is a pretty sweet looking house but it could probably benefit from a little work. Then this place would be even cooler than Gracie Mansion! Roar!
Behind the Governors Mansion is a sweet rose garden! I decided to take a moment and stop and smell the roses! Roar!
Up the road a bit there was this beautiful enclosed path that cut across the property. Wow, tis place looks so romantic! R-roar!
Snug Harbor also has it's very own hedge maze! Talk about awesome! Giraffe and I thought about going inside but we didn't want to get lost! That would have been so scary!
They also have this beautiful Tuscan garden! Maybe later Giraffe and I should go get a nice Italian pizza! Roar!
From the Tuscan garden Giraffe and I headed down the healing path past these awesome stone fountains! Too bad the water had been turned off for the season.
Snug Harbor also has one of the two Classical Chinese gardens in the United States! Bao Bao would love this place! Here Giraffe and I are in front of the moon viewing pavillion. I sure wish I thought to come here back during the moon festival!
Next we headed down to the pond and snuggle under a willow tree.  So cute!
Next Giraffe and I had some fun doing some live-action role playing in the reeds! "Roar! I'm coming to get you!" "Oh no! Eeee!"
Roar? Where did Giraffe go? I guess I better go look in these tall reeds and see if I can find her! Hold on I'll be right back...

When Giraffe and I were leaving Snug Harbor we passed by the front of the Children's Museum. They used to have this awesome sculpture of a praying mantis out front but it was recently damaged when that tornado came through New York City back in September! I sure hope they fix this guy soon because he is pretty awesome! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment