Sunday, February 14, 2010

Silver Apples of the Lunar New Year!

Roar! Today was really cool! Not only was it Valentines day, it was also the Chinese New Year! I had plans go out with Giraffe later in the evening and I was thinking of going to Chinatown earlier in the day but it was really crowded. Instead I headed over to the Wyoming Room in the Lower East Side where one of my favorite electronic music composers was giving a talk.
Here I am outside of the Wyoming Room. I had never been here before, turns out it's a pretty neat little space.
The person giving the talk was Morton Subotnick, one of the pioneers of synthesizer music in the 1960's. He gave a really cool talk about the creation of the Buchla and his goals for the then new medium of electronic music as well as where he thinks things have gone since then.
It was so great to meet Morton Subotnick. He's a really cool guy and even autographed my copy of Silver Apples of the Moon. It's such a great record and represents a landmark in electronic music during the 1960's. Roar!
Here's Subotnick's autograph on the back of Silver Apples of the Moon. He sure looks a lot different from how he did in the 1960's. 

After the lecture I went out for a nice evening with Giraffe. As for the Chinese New Year, there are things going on all week. I think I'll celebrate it then, when things are a little less crowded. Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment