Monday, March 22, 2010

Ridgewood Walking Tour and Roaring at the Reservoir 2!

Roar! Yesterday was the first day of spring and I decided to go on a walking tour of south Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Woodhaven with the Shorewalkers Appalachian Mountain Club. We started over at Gates Ave and Broadway and then headed down Bushwick Ave towards Ridgewood. 

As much as I love my neighborhood, admittedly there isn't much to see in south Bushwick. There was this cool apartment building though! I really like how the paint blends in with the sky! Roar!

After we "got some miles in" on Bushwick Ave we headed up to the ridge top by Force Jet Ave in Queens. This is the street where they used to pump the water up into the reservoir. I wonder if we'll be going there again today? Here we are at the top of the the ridge looking out over south Brooklyn towards Jamaica Bay.

There sure are some amazing houses up here on top of the ridge! We're definitely in Queens. Roar!

Yay! Next, we headed over to Ridgewood  Reservoir! I wrote about it in my very first post, Roaring at the Reservoir. It was really cool to come here and experience it with a big group.

Here is an early blooming Japanese Honeysuckle. It may look pretty but this is an invading plant species not native to North America. It's a huge problem!

This time I got check out the pumping stations! Let's see, maybe if I turn this nob right here... Nope not gonna budge. This equipment is rusted pretty bad, not even my dino strength can move it. Roar!

Next, we headed down into Woodhaven and walked along the J train tracks. Here is where we passed the sight of Dexter Field where the Brooklyn Bushwicks, one of the first multi-ethnic baseball teams in the country, played its games. Dexter Field is a shopping plaza now. Roar...

Next we walked up to the house where Betty Smith lived when she wrote A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I find it funny that even though Betty Smith grew up in Williamsburg, she moved to Queens to write about Brooklyn.

We finished the walk by heading to New Pop's Diner in Woodhaven. It's been around for over 30 years and is a pretty amazing diner!

After a long hike I was pretty hungry. I got the Lumber Jacks Breakfast and a Monte Cristo! They were both delicious! This meal was the perfect end to the hike. Hopefully, the rest of spring will be as nice as this first day. Roar!


No comments:

Post a Comment