Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Superfund? More like SUPER FUN!

ROAR! So it turns out the EPA wants to declare Newtown Creek as a Superfund Site officially making it one of the most polluted places in the country. I read claims that there is now more oil in Newtown Creek than was spilled in the Exxon Valdez disaster! Apparently Brooklyn has been leaking my ancestors in the creek for the past 100 years. I decided I just had to check this place out. So I rode my bike through Greenpoint and over the Pulaski Bridge where they have a nice rest area right over Newtown Creek!

The NYC skyline is really pretty this time of day. Too bad that water down below is so polluted!

Look at that nasty water down there! There is trash floating around and you can see oil and chemicals floating on the surface! GROSS! I don't understand how people can even live around here!

Here you can see a bunch of the industrial factories along the creek. They've been leaking chemicals and sewage into the water. The EPA even says some of those could get into the air. I better hold my breath next time I cross the bridge!

I threw up a sticker on the bridge and decided it was time to head home.

While riding down Morgan Ave on my way home I passed this crazy fashion shoot by the L train stop.

I'm not sure what they were taking pictures for. I guess the industrial area of Bushwick is just all the rage for fashion shoots now.

Next I rode past the Boar's Head distribution center. Look at all those trucks full of tasty meat! Oh man, I'm so happy I live so close to this place! ROAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment