Monday, February 14, 2011

Telling the Way at St. Ann's

Roar! This past weekend I went to see an amazing performance by the Brooklyn Youth Chorus over at St. Ann's Warehouse in DUMBO. It was called Tell the Way and was composed specifically for the chorus by Nico Muhly. Muhly (who has worked with both Bjork and Phillip Glass) is incredibly talented and I couldn't wait to hear what he's written for the choir!
Here I am In front of St. Ann's Warehouse. I've been to a couple of really cool events here in the past including a "suspense comedy with magic", and a puppet theater festival! Roar!
The performance also featured collaborations with folk musician Sam Amidon, guitarist Bryce Dressner, and vocalist Bishi! Everyone was really awesome and the music was absolutely fantastic. It's not often you get to hear some truly original pieces and Tell the Way had several of them! The real standout, though, was the Brooklyn Youth Chorus! I had no idea such a talented and professional group of young singers were performing in this Borough! I can't wait to see what they do next! Roar!
Here I am with chorus member Juliana LoPiccolo who I met after the performance. She is a really talented young lady who told me about all the fun they had working on the different pieces for Tell the Way! She's also takes her singing very professionally and told me some stories about being one of the chorus members in the live performance of the Lord of the Rings score at Radio City Music Hall! It was really cool to meet Juliana and know that there are such talented young people growing up here in Brooklyn! Roar!

The only downside to the performance of Tell the Way is it only played for three nights this past weekend! So even though I want to tell everyone I know to go see it, I can't. roar...  Juliana told me they were making a recording of it so hopefully it will be available sometime in the future and everyone will get to hear all the awesome music for themselves! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment