Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mott Haven, more like "Swap" Haven!

Roar! For the winter GrowNYC has organized a series of five swap-meets throughout the city, one for each borough. The first one was on Staten Island, the second one was in Inwood on Manhattan, and this past weekend they had the third one up in Mott Haven in the Bronx! I decided it would be fun to check out a new neighborhood and get some free stuff to boot!
Here I am outside GrowNYC's Stop n' Swap in Mott Haven! The swap was in the BronxWorks Community Center. It is a pretty neat looking place! I can't wait to get inside and check out the swap! Roar!
Woah! Just get a look at all the cool stuff down there! It's definitely time to start swapping! Roar!
There were lots of cool things at the swap, from various electronics to all types of clothes! Humans sure have a lot of things! I wonder what I'll find here?
I brought a bunch of old books to the swap but it looks like they already had plenty of those, just check out all these copies of Eragon! I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want that book, it has such cool dragons in it! Roar!
Mott Haven is a pretty cool neighborhood, too bad it was such a crummy day! I had wanted to explore the neighborhood a bit and visit some of the historical districts. Here I am outside of St. Ann's Park across from the swap. The park is named for St. Ann's Church, the oldest church in the Bronx, which is just a few blocks away. As for the rest of the historic districts, I hear they contain plenty of "handsome" brownstones! Roar!
I don't normally wear clothes but I got a couple shirts from the swap to stencil! I'll probably take these to another swap in the future to trade to people!
Look at all the sweet stuff I got from the swap! I got some science fiction books including works by Robert Anton Wilson, Kurt Vonnegut, Arthur C. Clarke, Isac Asimov, and even some of C.S. Lewis' rare space trilogy! I also picked up some comic books, some CD's (including one by Meredith Monk), and some old VHS copies of the Fleischer Superman cartoons and Death Race 2000! Talk about cool!
There was one really "Bronxy" thing I got at the Mott Haven swap! It was an underground hip hop cassette tape by Boiler which featured the tracks Superseed and Frontin'! Just listen to those sick beats! Roar!

I had a lot of fun at the swap in Mott Haven! It was great to give away some of my old stuff and get some sweet new stuff in return! There are still two more Stop n' Swaps coming up, one is in Jackson Heights on February 12th and the last one is in Fort Greene on the 26th. GrowNYC is a great organization and recycling old stuff is a great way to help keep New York my favorite color: Green! Roar! 


1 comment: