Friday, April 8, 2011

I've Got the Moon on my Mind at the NY Unsound Festival!

Roar! Last year during the first Unsound Festival I went to a sweet talk at the Wyoming Room where Morton Subotnik talked about the invention of the buchla and his goals for the medium of electronic music. He even autographed my copy of Silver Apples of the Moon! Well now the Unsound Festival is back and so is Mort! This year he was giving a live performance of Silver Apples of the Moon over at the David Rubenstein Atrium in Lincoln Center! I just couldn't miss this opportunity to see one of my favorite pieces of music performed live!
Here I am inside the David Rubenstein Atrium. It's a pretty neat space! There were all the these cool plants growing on the walls and there were these wild skylights full of different colored lights. I guess they were really trying to set the mood for the performance! Roar!
Here is Morton Subotnik working a vintage bucla! Wow just look how fast his hands are moving! I never realized how complicated Silver Apples of the Moon is! I can only imagine how hard Golden Apples of the Moon must be to play! Roar!
Here video artist Lillevan, can be seen providing live accompaniment on his Macbook! It was pretty sweet to see him live mix all this cool experimental video while Mort worked the bucla!


Here is a short video I took of the performance so you can hear the music and see what the visuals were like. Subotnik's new version of Silver Apples of the moon was really cool. Not only were there new versions of parts 1 and 2 but also two whole new parts that were similar in style to some of his more recent work. It was really cool to see the progression of the piece! I just wish I could have taken someone from the moon with me to share it with them! Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment