Monday, October 11, 2010

Open House NYC 2010: New York's Laid an Egg!

Roar! Yesterday was Open House NYC, the day where a ton of cool private areas in the city are open for tours! It offers a rare chance to see some of the more hidden aspects of city life and I'm always excited for the chance to learn more about the city I love! This Open House NYC I signed up for the Digester Egg Expereince with the New York City Department of Evironmental Protection. I've always wonder what went on inside those huge towers on the shores of Greenpoint and yesterday I got the chance to find out!
  
Here I am way up in Greenpoint on my way to the Digester Egg! It's so ominous the way it looms over the East River like that! I wonder what goes on inside?
Here I am inside the egg, about to go up to the top to learn about exactly what it is this things does! Roar!
Turns out this sweet digester egg cleans contaminated water and turns it into safe drinking water! It's actually super neat! The egg uses a process of anaerobic respiration, just like at Fresh Kills Park, to break down waste products and leave us with safe, clean drinking water! Go DEP!
The top of the Egg also offers some truly unique views of the Manhattan skyline! Roar! 
Back at the DEP station they had all these great water fixtures to celebrate clean water. Then I go a drink from the water fountain! Mmmmmm! Fresh from the egg!
On my way out the staff was having trouble moving these old lockers to the trash! They were so happy that a big strong T-Rex like me came around to help them! Roar!

What a great place to visit on Open NYC! I love learning all about the neat things that go on behind the scenes to help make New York City my favorite color, Green!


No comments:

Post a Comment