Sunday, April 11, 2010

More MoCCA Please!!!

Roar! This weekend was the 2010 MoCCA Arts Festival. It was so awesome! Each year the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art puts on a neat little festival where tons of local and not so local artists come to promote their work. Previous festivals were held at the Puck Building but since last year MoCCA Arts Fest has been held at the 69th Regiment Armory on Lexington Ave.

Here I am in front of the 69th Regiment Armory. This is such a cool building! The building was finished in 1906 but the 69th Regiment has been around since before the Civil War. The Armory building has played host to several important exhibitions over the years and was the location of the 1913 International Exhibition of Modern Art, the show that introduced much of America to modern art.

There were a ton of people at the Arts Festival. I got to meet many of my favorite comic and cartoon artists. There were also a lot of cool up and coming cartoonists from the New York area. It was interesting to see what everyone is working on and how they're pushing the medium of comics forward. Roar!

But by far the coolest person I got to meet at MoCCA was this man, Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics. Of all the humans I've met no one understands dinosaurs better than him. I asked him how he writes dinosaurs so well and he told me that he "thinks of a human, then takes away reason and accountability." I suppose that sums up why we like to stomp on things so much. Roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment